Know Your Makizushi

Sushi rolls represent most popular type of sushi, not only within our Lynnwood Japanese restaurant but for America as a whole. For many, the classic roll shape is the most iconic image associated with Japanese food. It’s no mistake that most fusion or “American-style” sushi is done in roll form: the crunchy roll, the Seattle roll, and of course the California roll that started it all.

The Japanese term for a sushi roll is makizushi, often written as “maki sushi” in English. Of this variety of sushi, there are two distinct variations: the standard maki sushi and the uramaki. You can tell the two apart based on where the nori seaweed is. If the nori is wrapped around the roll (or if there isn’t any nori), it’s a standard roll. However, if the nori is wrapped around the main ingredient of the roll but is inside the rice, it is uramaki. These “inside-out” rolls are largely the result of fusion sushi, and are more common outside of Japan than within.